Hi there. I hope your week is coming along well. Have you ever wondered what color best describes your personality? I hadn’t either until I started doing a little research for this post. Well, turns out my color is grey.
Black has always been my favorite color. Mostly because, if all the colors are mixed together, black will be the result. A funny side bar… One time, I went out to lunch with one of my cousins. It was a hot day and he wanted something cold to drink. He couldn’t decide which juice to go for on the menu so when the waitress came to take his order, he ordered a glass of tropical mix juice. For those who do not understand what tropical mix juice is, it is a mix of different fruit juices. As he ordered, he made a comment about how it was the flavor of juice that indecisive people took.
So, going back to black being my favorite color and it being a mix of all the colors makes me realize that I am truly an indecisive person. I couldn’t even pick a color! Lol. Well, I can decide that despite all this, black remains my favorite color. 😉
That being said, variety is the spice of life and this week, I am stepping a stone’s throw away from black and enjoying me some grey. Here are a few fun things to know about the color.
- Both grey and gray are accepted spellings of the color name. Grey is widely used in the UK while gray is largely used in American English.
- It can be highlighting, dynamic and mysterious depending on the tint and shade. It signifies neutrality, stability, compromise, elegance, balance even strength.
- According to color psychology, it also represents indecisiveness, impartiality and self-restraint. People who gravitate toward this color prefer a safe existence and go as far as controlling their emotions so as to avoid emotional pain. (This is so me!)
- Unlike in the title of the wildly popular book “Fifty Shades of Grey”, there are many tints and shades of the color that are discernible to the human eye. More details about them can be found on Wikipedia. In a nut-shell however…
- Achromatic greys. These are colors in which the red, green and blue (RGB) color codes are exactly equal.
- Chromatic greys. These are the versions where the RGB codes are not exactly equal but are close to one another.
- Middle greys. These are tones that are halfway between black and white.
- Off-grey. These are tones that are very close to achromatic greys but whose RGB codes are not equal. For example platinum whose RGB color code is (229 228 226).
- Cool greys. These have noticeably blue, green or violet hues in them. For example, slate grey.
- Warm greys. These tones have brown, red, pink and purple hues. An example is rose quartz.
- Grey/gray. This color is the one that is in the middle point between black and white. Its RGB color code is (128 128 128).
I am not sure what tint or shade this week’s outfit falls under, but I do know that it I put it together with inspiration from grey. I would classify this as a minimalist ensemble. If you are or ever have been curious about creating a minimalist or monochrome look, here are a few tips and tricks to show you how. Everything in this outfit, except the bag, bracelet, earrings and lipstick is thrift. I love the ruffle detail on the top. The soft material of the ruffles gives the top a very unique character. It can be part of a casual, smart-casual, formal, even flirty outfit depending on what else it is worn with. When I saw it the first time, I didn’t like it because I thought the ruffles were too much but the lady selling it to me convinced me to try it on and when I did, I saw its uniqueness and versatility. I do not regret the purchase.
The woolen sweater on the other hand, was a different story. I loved it the moment I saw it. Its unconventional circular shape is the detail that drew my eye the most. It gives it a very unique shape. I styled it differently in this post. The grey denim pants simply fit in with the grey theme. A pair of black pumps, a black textured patent leather clutch bag, a black beaded bracelet, black hoop earrings and a black lip punctuated the outfit.
I can relate many of the positive and negative attributes associated with this color to my personality. Which color do you think best describes your personality?
Enjoy the rest of your week and thank you so much for reading.